Seven things I’m thankful for
1. Living in a nation that can pass and protect (at least ultimately) laws like the Endangered Species Act, the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, the Multiple Use Sustained Yield Act, the Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration Act, and the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act.
2. A new ethic that enables management and appreciation of all native fish in native habitat from sea lampreys to alligator gars to Gila topminnows to Gila trout.
3. Platforms, past and present, that have allowed me to assist in protection and restoration of native fish in fresh and salt water or at least complain about their abuse and demise.
4. Friends, living and dead, who have taught me about the biology of native fish and how to advocate for them in print.
5. The health, strength and means to pursue native fish.
7. The “Assignment” (my venerable, 21-foot Contender), so named to enable Donna to accurately inform my editors and creditors that “Ted is on Assignment.”